Red Hat’s Acquisition – A Triumph of Open Source • Tomasz Tunguz

Still want to see what IBM does with and to Red Hat.

Red Hat’s Acquisition – A Triumph of Open Source • Tomasz Tunguz

Fortune article:

“This is a huge day. It absolutely resets the cloud landscape.” That’s what IBM CEO Ginni Rometty told me on Sunday, shortly after announcing her blockbuster $34 billion deal to acquire open-source software provider Red Hat, which will likely define her legacy at the 107-year-old computer company. “We will be the number one hybrid cloud provider.”

I asked what she could do as Red Hat’s owner that she couldn’t have done as its long-time partner. Her answer: “This will accelerate the customer journey to the cloud.” Big companies have only moved about 20% of their work to the cloud, she said. “They have done the easy work, the cost-oriented work.” Working together, IBM and Red Hat can attack the remaining 80%, allowing companies to create integrated solutions from the cacophony they now face. “A typical client has at least 1,000 applications, uses multiple clouds, faces vendor lock in,” she said. Together, IBM and Red Hat can provide end-to-end solutions that allow clients “to do some on premises, some in the public and private cloud, unifying multiple clouds, applications and vendors.”

IBM to acquire cloud computing firm Red Hat for – CNN

These tweets – ouch:

I am not sure the plans for how they will or will not integrate this – maybe best to leave it alone?

But this is so smart of IBM who is currently and risk of shrinking into a nobody again.

The whole Watson play just isn’t working and slowly but surely they will lose the high end of computing power.

Maybe this is the 3rd life for them yet?

IBM to acquire cloud computing firm Red Hat for – CNN